Is there Amazon in Mexico? What to Know About Amazon Mexico in 2023
Wondering if there is Amazon in Mexico? You’ve come to the right guide!
I’m a travel blogger that lives in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, so I’ve had plenty of time to figure out how to get my favorite Amazon products here.
In this blog post, I’ll give you an overview of Amazon Mexico, including what’s available, shipping options, Amazon Prime availability, and some key differences you can expect between Amazon Mexico and Amazon US.
So whether you’re living in Mexico or just want to catch up on your favorite Prime shows during your Mexico vacation, I’ve got you covered.
Read on to learn everything you need to know about Amazon in Mexico!
Is there Amazon in Mexico?
Yes, there is Amazon in Mexico. Amazon Mexico doesn’t yet offer the same range of products and services as Amazon US, but it’s still a great option for online shopping in Mexico.
👉 Amazon Mexico can be accessed by clicking here.
About Amazon Mexico
Amazon Mexico is the Mexican division of Amazon.com, Inc., the world’s largest online retailer.
Amazon Mexico was launched in 2015 originally as an e-book platform but now offers a wide selection of products, including books, electronics, home goods, clothes, beauty products, and more.
If you have an Amazon account in the US, you can use your same account in Mexico but may be subject to different terms and policies when it comes to shipping and customer service.
In addition, your Prime benefits from your US account will not apply in Mexico and you’ll need to sign up for Prime on the Amazon Mexico site if you want to take advantage of Prime shipping benefits.
Amazon Mexico: Product Availability
Amazon Mexico offers a wide selection of products, including books, electronics, home goods, clothes, and more.
Amazon Mexico has come a long way in recent years, but still does not yet offer the same range of products and services as Amazon USA.
Tech and consumer electronics products are much more expensive in Mexico, so Amazon US is still a better option for these items.
Amazon Mexico Products
Amazon Mexico has products that it distributes directly and products that are available through third-party Amazon sellers.
Products that are distributed directly by Amazon Mexico are much easier to get and will arrive much more quickly.
When shopping on the Amazon Mexico website, you’ll want to look for product listings that are labeled:
- Enviado por Amazon
- Envio desde Amazon Mexico
- Vendido por Amazon Mexico
Is there Amazon Prime in Mexico?
Amazon Prime is available in Mexico and is a membership program that gives users access to expedited shipping, streaming video and music, and other benefits.
To get Amazon Prime in Mexico, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial and then pay a monthly fee of $99 MXN (about $5 USD).
Or you can save money by paying an annual fee of $899 MXN (about $45 USD), which comes out to around $75 MXN (about $3.70 USD) per month.
Amazon Mexico: Shipping Options
When it comes to shipping, Amazon Mexico is not quite as advanced with its fulfillment centers, logistics, and branded trucks as Amazon US.
There are still fast shipping options within the country, but Amazon shipments in Mexico will likely be slower than what you are used to in the US, especially if you don’t have Prime.
Amazon Prime Mexico Expedited Shipping
If you signup for Mexico Amazon Prime, you’ll get access to these exclusive shipping benefits:
- Free 1-day shipping on select products to over 30 cities in Mexico including Cancun, Guadalajara, León, Mexico City, Monterrey, Puebla, Puerto Morelos, Querétaro, San Miguel de Allende, Tulum, and Toluca
- Free same-day shipping on select products to Mexico City, Monterrey, Guadalajara, and Toluca
- Deliveries on Saturdays and Sundays
- Free unlimited shipping on products sent from Amazon Mexico
- No minimum purchase
- Free shipping from the United States with delivery in 3-7 business days
Amazon Mexico Standard Shipping
If you don’t sign up for Prime, Amazon Mexico offers standard shipping fees within the country, as well as competitive rates for international shipping.
Basic shipping time for Amazon purchases can take anywhere from 3-7 days depending on the product availability.
Does Amazon deliver to Mexico from the United States?
Yes, many Amazon US products do ship to Mexico and the nice thing is that you usually won’t have to pay any extra costs for import taxes upon delivery.
Amazon does ship to Mexico and includes the import taxes in the total price of the product and these are normally flagged with an “Importacion” designation on the product listing.
This is a great incentive to use Amazon because international orders through other carriers, such as FedEx or DHL, are normally subject to a hefty import charge that must be paid when the order is delivered.
I once ordered an office chair from Amazon US and it was delivered to me in Mexico within a week without any issues with international shipping.
Is Amazon Mexico shipping reliable?
Shipping from Amazon Mexico is reliable as long as you live in a building with package receiving.
If you live in a condo or apartment building with a front desk, then you should have no problems receiving Amazon packages.
However, if you live in an apartment building where there is no package receiving, then it’s generally safer to have your package shipped to a nearby pickup point.
This will prevent the package from being stolen if it’s delivered when you are not at home.
Any Amazon Mexico delivery issues that do happen usually result from an address being entered incorrectly. Mexico addresses can be very confusing and are much different than standard US addresses.
Be sure to verify the correct shipping address for your apartment rental by checking with your landlord. You can also use your Mexico address exactly as it appears on your CFE electricity bill.
Amazon Prime Video in Mexico
Amazon Prime Video is available in Mexico and offers a wide streaming selection of movies and TV shows.
You’ll still find many popular American movies and TV shows on Amazon Prime Mexico but there are more Spanish titles as it is geared towards a Mexican audience.
Amazon Prime Video Mexico is included with an Amazon Prime membership, which costs $99 MXN per month (about $5 USD).
Amazon Music in Mexico
Amazon Music is available in Mexico and offers a wide selection of songs and albums. Ads free Amazon Music is included for Amazon Prime members.
How is Amazon Mexico different from Amazon US?
Here are some of the key differences you can expect to find between Amazon Mexico and Amazon US:
- Product Availability: Amazon US has a much wider selection of products than Amazon Mexico. Amazon Mexico is quickly catching up, but there are still many items that you can’t find on Amazon Mexico. The good thing is that many US products can be shipped to Mexico at no additional charge for Prime members.
- Shipping Speed: Amazon US offers faster shipping options than Amazon Mexico, but Amazon Mexico is catching up. Amazon Prime is available in both countries and offers expedited shipping and free shipping costs for some orders.
- Pricing: Amazon US typically has lower prices than Amazon MX. This is due to import costs, which can make Amazon Mexico prices higher than Amazon US prices, especially for consumer electronics.
- Prime Video Options: Amazon US has a wider selection of Prime Video content than Amazon Mexico. You’ll still find a lot of the same American titles but there will be a lot more Spanish movies and shows.
- Extra Services: Amazon US offers a lot of extra services like Amazon Fresh, Amazon Home Services, Amazon Prime Now, and Amazon Renewed. Amazon Mexico does not offer any of these services.
Amazon Alternatives in Mexico
Amazon is pretty much the market leader in online shopping in Mexico, but there are some alternatives where you can compare prices and products.
- Mercado Libre: Mercado Libre is one of the largest e-commerce sites in the country. Mercado Libre offers a wide variety of products, including electronics, clothes, shoes, books, and more. Mercado Libre is a great place to find Amazon product alternatives in Mexico where you may find lower prices and faster shipping times.
- Linio: Linio is another Amazon alternative that is available in Mexico and Latin America and offers a wide variety of products, including electronics, furniture, clothes, shoes, books, and more.
Tips for Using Amazon in Mexico
Follow these tips when using the Amazon website in Mexico:
- Shop Amazon Mexico products: Buying products sold directly by Amazon Mexico is the quickest way to receive your items. Products from third party sellers usually take longer. In addition, Amazon US products take longer to arrive and can cost more due to customs costs and import taxes.
- If you don’t have package receiving at your building, ship to an Amazon pickup point: Package theft is not uncommon in Mexico so it’s best to only ship to your home or rental if you have package receiving. If you don’t have package receiving, then you’ll want to ship to a nearby pickup point (“punto de entrega”) where you can go to collect your order.
- Don’t forget prices are in Mexican pesos: Amazon Mexico prices are listed in Mexican pesos, not US dollars. Use a currency converter if needed to get an idea of the total cost.
- Enter your Mexican address correctly: Most delivery errors occur as a result of the delivery address being entered incorrectly. Make sure to enter your address correctly when placing your order. A good rule of thumb is to use your building’s address exactly as it appears on your CFE electricity bill.
- Use a VPN for Prime Video: Amazon Prime Video is not available in all countries. If you’re trying to watch Amazon Prime Video from outside the US, you’ll need to use a VPN. A VPN (virtual private network) allows you to change your IP address so it appears as if you’re accessing the internet from a different country. This trick will allow you to access Amazon Prime Video from anywhere in the world.
Amazon in Mexico: FAQs
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Amazon Mexico:
Can I watch US Amazon Prime in Mexico?
US Amazon Prime Video is not available in Mexico. Some select titles are available for international viewing but most of the content is blocked. If you want to watch US Amazon Prime in Mexico, you’ll need to use a VPN to mask your IP address.
Does Amazon Prime deliver in Mexico free?
Yes, Amazon Prime members in Mexico receive free 1-day and same-day shipping to select cities. If you don’t live in a major city, Prime members can still receive free shipping but it will take slightly longer.
How much does Amazon Prime cost in Mexico?
After a 30-day free trial, Amazon Prime in Mexico costs $99 MXN (about $5 USD) per month or you can save money by paying an annual fee of $899 MXN (about $45 USD).
Can you return products from Amazon Mexico?
Yes, you can return most products from Amazon Mexico within 30 days if returns are allowed for that specific product. Be sure to check the return policy before ordering.
You’ll need to pack the item yourself and follow the return instructions given for that specific product. Additional information on the Amazon Mexico return policy can be found here.
Do you have to have a Mexican credit card to use Amazon Mexico?
No, you do not have to have a Mexican credit card to use Amazon Mexico. American credit cards are accepted for payment including Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
You can also use an Amazon Mexico gift card but Amazon US gift cards will not work on the Mexico site.
Can you use Amazon Mexico in English?
No, at this time there isn’t a way to change your language settings on the Amazon Mexico website to English. If you don’t speak Spanish, consider using the Google Translate plugin on a Chrome browser to translate the entire page.
Conclusion: Amazon in Mexico Guide
I hope this article has been helpful in answering your questions about Amazon orders in Mexico.
If you’re a Mexican resident or a foreigner living in Mexico, Amazon can be a great resource for online shopping. And if you live in a major city in Mexico, you can enjoy Amazon Prime benefits like 1-day or even same-day shipping.
Overall, Amazon is an e-commerce giant and Amazon Mexico is no exception! It’s a quick and convenient way to buy your favorite products and have them delivered to your home in Mexico.
Happy Amazon Mexico shopping!