Are you looking for the best private airport transfer from Cancun International Airport to Tulum?
You’ve come to the right guide because I live in Playa del Carmen, just north of Tulum, and have tons of experience navigating the Cancun Airport transportation scene.
What most people don’t realize is that the Cancun Airport can be extremely overwhelming and getting a ride from the airport can be a bit of a hassle if you’re not prepared.
Fortunately, I’ve found a great company called Cancun Airport Transportation that can help you get to and from the airport quickly and easily.
In this post, I’ll explain more about the best private transfer from Cancun to Tulum, what to expect when you arrive at Cancun Airport, and tips for making your trip smooth and stress-free.
So if you’re planning an upcoming vacation to Tulum, keep reading to learn more about the best airport transfer option for a stress-free arrival and departure experience!
What to expect when you arrive at Cancun Airport
Before we begin, it’s very important to know that Cancun International Airport can be an extremely chaotic place, especially if you’re traveling during high season.
Customs and Immigration can have extremely long lines that move slowly, which can add a lot of frustration after a long flight.
And even after you clear Immigration, you’ll often have to wait even longer for your luggage to be unloaded from the plane and transported to the baggage claim area.
But it’s when you finally exit the airport that the real chaos ensues…
As soon as you’re through the sliding glass doors, you’ll immediately be bombarded by dozens of salespeople, timeshare sales reps, and transport companies all trying to get your attention and offer you their services.
It can be very loud and overwhelming with lots of shouting and pushing your way through the crowds.
The best thing you can do is to avoid talking to anybody outside the airport unless you’re 100% sure that a particular company is reputable.
Unfortunately, this is an area where a lot of people get scammed and taken advantage of.
This is why it’s best to arrive at the airport prepared with a transfer company like Cancun Airport Transportation, so you can avoid dealing with these pushy salespeople altogether and feel confident that you’re getting a reliable ride.
Best Private Airport Transfer from Cancun to Tulum
From my experience, the best private airport transfer option from Cancun to Tulum is Cancun Airport Transportation.
This is the transfer company that I personally use and recommend for anyone arriving at Cancun Airport.
I use them all the time and my friends and family have used them as well and have always had a great experience.
Their fleet of modern vehicles includes everything from comfortable vans and luxury SUVs to mini-buses and limos, so you can choose the best option for your group or budget.
With over 10 years of experience providing reliable, comfortable rides to and from the airport, this company offers the best transportation service and is a safe and hassle-free choice for your transportation needs.
Plus, they offer bilingual greeters and drivers so you can feel comfortable riding with them even if you don’t speak Spanish.
Here are the different vehicle options available from Cancun Airport Transportation:
- Private Service: The private service is a standard air-conditioned van for up to 8 passengers with a bilingual driver.
- Luxury Service: The luxury transportation service is a luxury SUV (Suburban or similar) for up to 6 passengers with a bilingual driver and VIP service.
- Premium Service: The premium service is a luxury SUV (Cadillac) for up to 5 passengers with a bilingual driver and VIP service.
- Group Service: The group transportation service is a mini-bus for up to 16 passengers with a bilingual driver.
- Limo Service: The limo service is a premium limo service in a Chrysler 300 vehicle for up to 11 passengers or a Suburban vehicle for up to 14 people.
Private Airport Transfer Rates
Below are the standard rates for private airport transfers to Tulum with Cancun Airport Transportation.
Note there may be additional charges depending on the location of your hotel and for groups of over 3 people.
But no matter which service you choose, you’ll automatically get the best price (10% off 🤑) by booking a round-trip service!
Private Service Rates to Tulum:
- Private Service: $120 USD one way / $225 USD round-trip
- Luxury Service: $240 USD one way / $425 USD round-trip
- Premium Service: $415 USD one way / $810 USD round-trip
👉 Check the rates to your specific hotel or resort by clicking here!
If desired, you can also choose to purchase additional add-ons like food, drinks, or beers to have in your vehicle upon arrival.
And if you want to stock up on some groceries, a stop at a grocery store along the way can also be arranged.
These add-ons will come at a bit of an extra cost so it’s best to discuss any special requests with Cancun Airport Transportation well in advance.
How to Book the Best Airport Transfer from Cancun to Tulum
To book a private airport transfer to Tulum, just visit the Cancun Airport Transportation website and use their quick and easy online booking system.
Simply enter your travel dates and hotel from a drop-down list, and you can instantly see all the available rates and vehicle types for your travel dates.
To confirm the booking, you’ll need to enter your flight information for arrival and departure and then you can pay with a credit card, Paypal, or cash on the day of your transfer.
Don’t forget you’ll automatically get 10% off your booking when you book a round-trip service, so you’ll save the most money if you book for both arrival and departure in advance.
It’s also best to book your transfer in advance (1 week is recommended) to ensure your driver is reserved for your arrival date.
However, Cancun Airport Transportation is normally able to accommodate last-minute booking requests as long as they have a driver available.
👉 Book your Tulum airport transfer with Cancun Airport Transportation by clicking here!
Reasons to Book a Private Airport Transfer to Tulum
Here are 10 important reasons to book Cancun Airport private transportation to Tulum:
- It’s the fastest and most reliable way to go: With a private transfer, you won’t have to worry about wasting time waiting for other people to get dropped off or dealing with crowded Cancun to Tulum shuttle buses. Your driver will be there waiting for you as soon as you arrive at the airport and can whisk you off to your resort quickly and easily–because the beach and margaritas are waiting! 🍹
- It’s safe and comfortable: Unlike other Cancun transportation service options, such as taxis and public buses, a private transfer ensures that you’ll be riding in a safe and comfortable vehicle the whole way. So if you want to avoid dealing with throngs of other travelers or potentially unsafe transportation, a private airport transfer is the best option.
- The Cancun Airport is extremely chaotic: The arrivals area at Cancun Airport is loud and chaotic and is where many people can get scammed or taken advantage of. With a private transfer service, you’ll know ahead of time that you have a reliable ride and can avoid a stressful arrival experience.
- Cancun airport transfer scams are common: Unfortunately, scams are not uncommon at the Cancun Airport and there have been many reports of scam artists posing as airport transfer companies. However, with a trusted provider like Cancun Airport Transportation, you can rest assured that your ride will be safe and reliable.
- Uber is not an option: Unfortunately, Uber at Cancun Airport is not available (or anywhere in the Riviera Maya region) so you won’t just be able to request an Uber once you land. So if you’re looking for a quick and convenient transportation option, then a private transfer is the best choice for you.
- Regular taxis are not allowed at Cancun Airport: Only “official airport taxis” are allowed at Cancun Airport, which means the taxi drivers can get away with charging insane rates. It’s normally about the same price to book a private transfer in advance, rather than negotiating a ride with an airport taxi at the end of your flight.
- It’s the cheapest option for families and groups: If you’re traveling in a group of 2 or more people, it’s usually less expensive to book a private transfer for multiple people rather than sharing a Tulum shuttle service. When the cost is split among the group, it can actually be cheaper than booking rides individually.
- It’s the best option for social distancing: If you’re someone that wants to avoid crowds, a private transfer is the best way to go to have your own private vehicle rather than densely populated buses or shuttles.
- There are no luggage restrictions: If you’re someone that doesn’t travel light, then a private transfer is the best option for you. With a private transfer, there are less luggage and weight restrictions, so you can pack as much as you want and still be able to get from the airport to your hotel without any issues. Plus, you’ll have a driver to assist you with your luggage.
- You can make stops along the way: A private transfer gives you much more customization and flexibility so if you want to stop for some drinks or groceries along the way, your driver will be happy to accommodate. There is usually an extra cost for this service, so be sure to discuss your travel plans with your driver ahead of time.
Is there Uber at Cancun Airport?
No, Uber at Cancun Airport is not available (nor are any other ride-sharing services). Uber has been blocked from operating in the entire Riviera Maya region of Mexico including Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Tulum.
If you’re looking for a quick and convenient option to get from the airport to your resort in Tulum, then a private transfer with Cancun Airport Transportation is your best bet.
With competitive rates, great service, and reliable drivers, this company offers the best airport transfer for Tulum.
🚙 Related Reading: Is there Uber in Mexico?
Other Transport Options Available at Cancun Airport
After a private transfer, these are the next best transport options available to get from Cancun Airport to Tulum.
Keep in mind that while these are more budget-friendly options, they will usually take longer and are less convenient than a private transfer.
Cancun Airport Shared Shuttle
The next best transportation from Cancun Airport to Tulum is to take a shared shuttle service from the airport to your hotel or resort.
A shared Tulum airport shuttle can be booked online in advance, and offers door-to-door service with multiple stops along the way.
This is a great option for solo travelers or those traveling on a budget. However, keep in mind that these shuttles make multiple stops and can take longer to reach your destination compared to private car service.
For example, the normal 1.5-hour ride to Tulum could take 3+ hours with multiple stops along the way. But, at the same time, it’s a cheaper option for door-to-door service.
I recommend using Cancun Shuttles for the best shuttle service in Cancun and the surrounding area. Rates to Tulum are as follows:
- Tulum: $37 USD one way
👉 Book a shared shuttle with Cancun Shuttles by clicking here!
Another budget-friendly option is to take the ADO Airport Bus from Cancun International Airport to Tulum.
This large, charter-style bus has regular departures from the airport and can be taken to the ADO station in downtown Tulum.
This is the cheapest way to get from the Cancun Airport to Tulum and is great for those traveling solo or on a tight budget. However, keep in mind that it can take a long time to reach your destination.
The ADO bus will drop you off at the ADO bus station in downtown Tulum, and then you’ll still need to take a taxi or walk to your final destination.
If you’re staying in the Hotel Zone in Tulum, you’ll still need to take a taxi, as the Tulum Hotel Zone is a few miles away from the ADO station.
ADO bus tickets can be purchased at the red ADO counter located in the Cancun Airport’s arrivals terminal right after exiting baggage claim.
Note it’s best not to book your ADO tickets ahead of time as it can be extremely hard to predict when you’ll actually be exiting the airport after going through Customs and Immigration.
It’s very easy just to purchase your tickets at the ADO counter at the airport and then you’ll be able to hop on the next departing bus.
Rates for ADO buses to Tulum are as follows:
- Tulum: $340 pesos ($17 USD) each way
🚌 Read my full ADO bus guide for more information and step-by-step instructions for using the Cancun to Tulum bus service.
Another option for getting to Tulum is to book a rental car at the Cancun Airport—although it’s something I wouldn’t really recommend.
Cancun Airport is notorious for car rental scams, and it can often be a huge hassle to pick up your car from the airport.
Car rental companies at the Cancun Airport can often be deceptive, using bait-and-switch tactics and charging exorbitant fees for insurance or additional services.
Instead, I recommend sticking with one of the above options for Cancun to Tulum transportation or renting a car once you get to your hotel or resort.
If you do want to rent a car once you get to your hotel in Tulum, I recommend using Discover Cars, where you can see detailed reviews and ratings for both Mexican and international car rental companies.
👉 Search for car rentals on Discover Cars by clicking here!
Taxis (Not recommended)
The last option for Cancun Airport transportation service is to take a taxi service from Cancun to Tulum but I would honestly only do this as a very last resort.
Only official airport taxis are allowed at the Cancun Airport, which means these taxi drivers can get away with charging extremely high rates and it can be a real hassle to haggle and negotiate.
And payments cannot be made with a credit card, so you’ll need to have a lot of cash on hand.
It’s honestly way safer and around the same price just to arrange your private airport transfer in advance.
Plus, you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing that your private driver will be waiting for you when you step off the plane and you’ll have a safe and reliable ride to Tulum.
Tips for Airport Transfers from Cancun to Tulum
Here are some tips to keep in mind when using a Cancun to Tulum airport transfer:
- Book in advance: To ensure that you get the best rates and availability, be sure to book your airport transfers in advance. It’s recommended to book your transfer at least one week in advance. Plus, you’ll automatically get 10% off by booking a round-trip Tulum service.
- Avoid taking an airport taxi: The best Cancun Airport transportation option is to book a private transportation service in advance. Not only will this be the most reliable and convenient transport option, but it will also ensure that you get where you need to go without running into any scams or being overcharged by airport taxi drivers.
- Remember Uber is not an option: Uber is not available at Cancun Airport or anywhere in the Riviera Maya region of Mexico. That’s why it’s best to book your car service at Cancun airport through Cancun Airport Transportation–the best transfer company ahead of time.
- Download WhatsApp: Whatsapp is a messaging app that is used by almost everyone in Mexico (including businesses). If you have any trouble locating your airport transfer company, WhatsApp is the easiest way to get in contact and get responses quickly from the company’s English-speaking staff.
- Wear a seatbelt: The drive from Cancun to Tulum will be a long ride (1.5 hours) on a major highway. Be sure to buckle up and wear a seatbelt as car accidents are not uncommon in Mexico.
- Don’t forget cash for tips: Leaving a tip for your private driver from Cancun to Tulum is not required but highly recommended. Be sure to have some cash on hand to leave a tip. Around 10% of the service price is recommended and can be paid in pesos or USD.
🚨 Do you need travel insurance for Mexico? Yes! Most insurance plans in your home country will not cover incidents abroad. I recommend using Travel Insurance Master, which is a handy travel insurance marketplace where you can compare policies. Get a FREE quote by clicking here!
Cancun to Tulum Airport Transfers: FAQs
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Cancun to Tulum private transportation:
The distance from Cancun Airport to Tulum is about 73 miles (118 kilometers) and takes about 1.5 hours by car.
The drive from Cancun Airport to Tulum is approximately 1.5 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
The safest option for transportation from Cancun to Tulum is to book a private transfer service in advance.
These services are reliable, convenient, and provide peace of mind that you’ll have a safe and comfortable ride to your resort or hotel in Tulum.
The cost of a private shuttle transport from Cancun Airport to Tulum will vary depending on the type of vehicle that you choose, the number of passengers in your party, and the location of your hotel or resort.
Generally speaking, rates for airport transfers to Tulum start around $120 USD each way (for up to 3 people).
The cheapest airport transfer from Cancun to Tulum is to take the ADO Airport Bus, which costs around $17 USD each way.
Leaving a tip of around 10% of the service cost is recommended and will be greatly appreciated by your driver. You can pay this tip in either pesos or USD.
Final Thoughts: Best Private Transfer from Cancun to Tulum
I hope this guide to the best private airport transfer for Tulum has been helpful and has given you an idea of what to expect when you arrive at Cancun International Airport.
The Cancun Airport can be an extremely chaotic place and it’s very easy to get scammed or overcharged by airport taxi drivers and other potentially dishonest forms of transport.
That’s why it’s best to book a private airport transfer in advance, so you can rest assured that you’ll be in great hands from the moment you step off your flight to when you reach your hotel or resort.
I personally use and recommend Cancun Airport Transportation, a reputable local company that offers safe and reliable airport transfers and a stress-free experience.
Remember you’ll get 10% off by booking a round trip service!
If you’re headed to Tulum soon, make sure to cross this essential item off your to-do list and book your private airport transfer now! ⤵️
Traveling to Mexico soon?
These are the Mexico travel resources I use and recommend:
✈️ Flights: I recommend using Skyscanner for the best Mexico flight deals. Be sure to sign up for their price alerts for your preferred travel dates.
🚗 Rental Cars: I like to use Discover Cars because you can compare multiple car rental companies and see detailed ratings for overall value, ease of pick-up, efficiency of agents, car condition, and overall time spent.
🚙 Cancun Airport Transportation: I recommend booking a private transfer with Cancun Airport Transportation for the quickest and most hassle-free option!
🤿 Tours & Activities: I always use Viator or GetYourGuide for booking tours and activities in Mexico. You can cancel up to 24 hours before the tour for a full refund, plus they have excellent customer service if you were to have any issues.
🚨 Travel Insurance: After my Dad broke his hand in a taxi accident in Playa del Carmen, I always recommend buying travel insurance before your trip for added peace of mind! I recommend Travel Insurance Master for short trips or Safety Wing for digital nomads.
☀️ Biodegradable Sunscreen: Don’t forget to add biodegradable sunscreen to your Mexico packing list! Regular sunscreen is prohibited when swimming in the ocean and cenotes in Mexico, so you’ll need to pack some biodegradable sunscreen for sun protection. I recommend Sun Bum Sunscreen, which is reef-friendly, vegan, and cruelty-free.