Are you looking for the best airport transfer for Cancun International Airport?
You’ve come to the right guide because I live in Playa del Carmen, just south of Cancun, and have loads of experience navigating the Cancun airport transportation scene.
Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the surrounding Riviera Maya region are some of the most popular tourist destinations in Mexico but the Cancun Airport can be a bit of a hassle if you’re not prepared.
Fortunately, I’ve found a great company called Cancun Airport Transportation that can help you get to and from the airport quickly and easily.
In this post, I’ll explain more about the best airport transfer for Cancun, what to expect when you arrive at Cancun Airport, and tips for making your trip smooth and stress-free.
So if you’re planning a vacation to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, or the Riviera Maya any time soon, keep reading to learn more about the best airport transfer option for a stress-free arrival and departure experience!
What to expect when you arrive at Cancun Airport
Before we begin, it’s important to know that the Cancun Airport can be an extremely chaotic place, especially if you’re traveling during peak tourist season.
Customs and Immigration can have extremely long lines that move slowly, which can add stress and frustration after a long flight.
And even after you clear Immigration, you’ll often have to wait even longer for your luggage to be unloaded from the plane and transported to the baggage claim area.
But it’s when you finally exit the airport that the real chaos ensues…
As soon as you’re through the sliding glass doors, you’ll immediately be bombarded by dozens of salespeople, timeshare sales reps, and transport companies all trying to get your attention and offer you a ride.
It can be very loud and overwhelming with lots of shouting and pushing your way through the crowds. It’s best to try and avoid talking to anybody outside the airport unless you’re 100% sure that a particular company is reputable.
Unfortunately, this is an area where a lot of people get taken advantage of.
This is why it’s best to arrive at the airport prepared with a transfer company like Cancun Airport Transportation, so you can avoid dealing with these pushy salespeople altogether and feel confident that you’re getting a reliable ride.
Best Airport Transfer for Cancun International Airport
From my experience, the best airport transfer option in Cancun is Cancun Airport Transportation.
This is the transfer company that I personally use and recommend for anyone arriving at Cancun Airport.
I use them all the time and my friends and family have used them as well and have always had a great experience.
Their fleet of modern vehicles includes everything from comfortable vans and luxury SUVs to mini-buses and limos, so you can choose the best option for your group or budget.
With over 20 years of experience providing reliable, comfortable rides to and from the airport, this company is a safe and hassle-free choice for your travel needs.
Plus, they offer bilingual greeters and drivers so you can feel comfortable riding with them if you don’t speak Spanish.
Here are the different vehicle options available from Cancun Airport Transportation:
- Private Service: The private service is a standard air-conditioned van for up to 8 passengers with a bilingual driver.
- Luxury Service: The luxury transportation service is a luxury SUV (Suburban or similar) for up to 6 passengers with a bilingual driver and VIP service.
- Premium Service: The premium service is a luxury SUV (Cadillac) for up to 5 passengers with a bilingual driver and VIP service.
- Group Service: The group transportation service is a mini-bus for up to 16 passengers with a bilingual driver.
- Limo Service: The limo service is a premium limo service in a Chrysler 300 vehicle for up to 11 passengers or a Suburban vehicle for up to 14 people.
Airport Transfer Rates
These are the standard rates for private airport transfers with Cancun Airport Transportation.
Note: there will be additional charges for upgraded service and for groups over 3 people.
But no matter which service you choose, you’ll automatically get the best price (10% off 🤑) by booking a round trip service!
Private Service Rates (up to 3 people):
- Cancun Hotel Zone: $39 USD one way / $65 USD round-trip
- Playa del Carmen: $70 USD one way / $125 USD round-trip
- Tulum: $120 USD one way / $225 USD round-trip
👉 If you are traveling to a resort in Riviera Maya, click here to check the rates for your specific resort.
If desired, you can also choose to pre-arrange additional add-ons like food, drinks, or beers to have ready and waiting in your vehicle upon arrival.
You can also arrange to stop at a grocery store (like Walmart) along the way if you want to stock up on groceries or drinks.
These add-ons will come at an extra cost so it’s best to discuss any special needs with Cancun Airport Transportation well in advance.
How to Book the Best Cancun Airport Transfer
To book the best Cancun airport transfer, just visit the Cancun Airport Transportation website and use their quick and easy online booking system.
Simply enter your travel dates and resort from a drop-down list, and you can instantly see all the available rates and vehicle types for your travel dates.
To confirm the booking, you’ll need to enter your flight information for arrival and departure and then you can pay with a credit card, Paypal, or cash on the day of your transfer.
Don’t forget you’ll automatically get 10% off your booking when you book a round-trip service, so it’s best to book for both arrival and departure in advance.
You’ll also want to book your transfer in advance (1 week is recommended) to ensure your driver is reserved for your arrival date.
However, Cancun Airport Transportation is normally able to accommodate last-minute booking requests for Cancun hotel transportation as long as they have a driver available.
👉 Book your airport transfer with Cancun Airport Transportation by clicking here!
Reasons to Book a Private Airport Transfer
Here are 10 reasons to book Cancun Airport private transportation:
- It’s the fastest and most reliable transportation option: With a private transfer, you won’t have to worry about wasting time waiting for other people to get dropped off or dealing with crowded shuttle buses. Your driver will be there waiting for you as soon as you arrive at the airport and can whisk you off to your resort quickly and easily–because the beach and margaritas are waiting! 🍹
- It’s safe and comfortable: Unlike other Cancun transportation service options, such as taxis and public buses, a private transfer ensures that you’ll be riding in a safe and comfortable vehicle the whole way. So if you want to avoid dealing with throngs of other travelers or potentially unsafe transportation, a private airport transfer is the best option.
- The Cancun Airport is extremely chaotic: The arrivals area at Cancun Airport is loud and chaotic and is where many people can get taken advantage of. With a private transfer service, you’ll know ahead of time that you have a reliable ride and can avoid a stressful arrival experience.
- Cancun airport transfer scams are common: Unfortunately, scams are not uncommon at the Cancun Airport and there have been many reports of scam artists posing as airport transfer companies. However, with a trusted provider like Cancun Airport Transportation, you can rest assured that your ride will be safe and reliable.
- There’s no Uber at Cancun Airport: Unfortunately, Uber at Cancun Airport is not available (or anywhere in the Riviera Maya region) so you won’t just be able to call an Uber once you land. So if you’re looking for a quick and convenient transportation option, then a private transfer is the best Uber alternative.
- Regular taxis are not allowed at Cancun Airport: Only “official airport taxis” are allowed at Cancun Airport, which means the drivers can get away with charging insane rates. It’s normally about the same price to book a private transfer in advance, so you’re better off doing that than having to negotiate a ride with an airport taxi.
- It’s the cheapest option for families and groups: If you’re traveling in a group of 2 or more people, it’s usually less expensive to book a private transfer for multiple people rather than sharing an airport shuttle. When the cost is split among the group, it can actually be cheaper than booking rides individually.
- It’s best option for social distancing: If you’re someone that wants to avoid crowds, a private transfer is the best way to go to have your own private vehicle rather than densely populated shuttles or buses.
- There are no luggage restrictions: If you’re someone that doesn’t travel light, then a private transfer is the best option for you. With a private transfer, there are no luggage or weight restrictions, so you can pack as much as you want and still be able to get from the airport to your resort without any issues. Plus, you’ll have a driver to help you with your luggage.
- You can make stops along the way: A private transfer gives you more customization and flexibility so if you want to stop for some groceries or drinks along the way, your driver will be happy to accommodate. There is usually an extra cost for this service, so be sure to discuss your travel plans with your driver ahead of time.
Is there Uber at Cancun Airport?
No, there is no Uber at Cancun Airport or any other ride-sharing services available.
Uber has been blocked from operating in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the entire Riviera Maya region of Mexico.
If you’re looking for a quick and convenient option to get from the airport to your resort, then a private transfer with Cancun Airport Transportation is your best bet.
With competitive rates, excellent service, and reliable professional drivers, this company offers the best airport transfer in Cancun.
🚙 Related Reading: Is there Uber in Mexico?
Other Transport Options Available at Cancun Airport
After a private transfer, these are the next best transport options available to Cancun Airport.
These are more budget-friendly options, but will usually take longer and are less convenient than a private transfer.
Cancun Airport Shared Shuttle
The next best transportation from Cancun Airport is to take a shared shuttle service from the airport to your hotel or resort.
These shuttles can be booked online in advance, and they offer door-to-door service with multiple stops along the way.
This is a great option for solo travelers or those traveling on a budget. However, keep in mind that these shuttles make multiple stops and can take longer to reach your destination compared to private car service.
For example, the normal 1-hour ride from Cancun to Playa del Carmen could take 2+ hours with multiple stops along the way. But, it’s a reliable option for door-to-door service.
I recommend using Cancun Shuttles for the best shuttle service in Cancun and the surrounding area.
Rates to nearby destinations are as follows:
- Cancun Hotel Zone: $15 USD one way
- Playa del Carmen: $29 USD one way
- Tulum: $37 USD one way
👉 Book a shared shuttle with Cancun Shuttles by clicking here!
Another budget-friendly option is to take the ADO Airport Bus from Cancun International Airport to your destination.
This large, charter-style bus departs from the airport regularly and can be taken to downtown Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or Tulum.
This is the cheapest way to go and great for those traveling solo or on a tight budget, however, keep in mind that it can take longer to reach your destination.
The ADO bus will drop you off at the ADO bus station in downtown Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or Tulum, and then you’ll still need to take a taxi or walk to your final destination.
ADO bus tickets can be purchased at the red ADO counter located in the Cancun Airport’s arrivals terminal right after exiting baggage claim. You’ll then be able to hop on the next departing bus.
Rates for ADO buses to nearby destinations are as follows:
- Downtown Cancun: $105 pesos ($5 USD) each way
- Playa del Carmen: $225 pesos ($11 USD) each way
- Tulum: $340 pesos ($17 USD) each way
🚌 Read my full ADO bus guide for more information and step-by-step instructions for using the service.
As another alternative, booking a rental car at the Cancun Airport is an option—although it’s something I wouldn’t really recommend.
Cancun Airport is notorious for car rental scams, and it can often be a huge hassle to pick up your car from the airport.
Car rental companies at the Cancun Airport can be deceptive, often using baiting tactics and charging exorbitant fees for insurance or additional services.
Instead, I recommend sticking with one of the above options for Cancun transfers or renting a car once you get to your hotel or resort.
If you do want to rent a car once you get to your hotel, I recommend using Discover Cars, where you can see detailed reviews and ratings for both Mexican and international car rental companies.
👉 Search for car rentals on Discover Cars by clicking here!
Taxis (Not recommended)
The last option for Cancun Airport transportation service is to take a taxi from the airport but I would honestly only do this as a last resort.
Only official airport taxis are allowed at the Cancun Airport, which means these taxi drivers can get away with charging exorbitant rates and can be a real hassle to haggle and negotiate.
And payments cannot be made with a credit card, so you’ll need to have a lot of cash on hand.
It’s honestly way safer and around the same price just to arrange a private airport transfer in advance.
Plus, you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing that your private driver will be waiting for you when you step off the plane and you’ll have a safe and reliable ride.
Tips for Airport Transfers in Cancun
Here are some tips to keep in mind when using a Cancun airport transfer:
- Book in advance: To ensure that you get the best rates and availability, be sure to book your airport transfers in advance. Booking your transfer at least one week ahead of time is recommended.
- Avoid taking an airport taxi: The best Cancun Airport transportation option is to book a shared shuttle or private transportation service in advance. Not only will this be the most reliable and convenient transport option, but it will also ensure that you get where you need to go without running into any scams or being overcharged by airport taxi drivers.
- Remember Uber is not an option: Uber is not available at Cancun Airport or anywhere in the Riviera Maya region of Mexico. That’s why it’s best to book your car service at Cancun airport through a transfer company ahead of time.
- Download WhatsApp: WhatsApp is a messaging app that is used by almost everyone in Mexico (including businesses). If you have any trouble locating your airport transfer company, WhatsApp is the easiest way to get in contact and get responses quickly from the company’s English-speaking and friendly staff.
- Keep your valuables with you: When taking an airport transfer, it’s always best to keep your belongings with you rather than in your stowed luggage. Keep your purse or backpack with you in your lap or in close view during the ride.
- Wear a seatbelt: The drive from the airport to your resort will likely be a long ride on a major highway. Be sure to buckle up as car accidents are not uncommon in Mexico.
- Don’t forget cash for tips: Leaving a tip for your driver is not required but highly recommended. Be sure to have some cash on hand to leave a tip. Around 10% of the service price is recommended and can be paid in pesos or USD.
🚨 Do you need travel insurance for Mexico? Yes! Most insurance plans in your home country will not cover incidents abroad. I recommend using Travel Insurance Master, which is a handy travel insurance marketplace where you can compare policies. Get a FREE quote by clicking here!
Cancun Airport Transfers: FAQs
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the best Cancun airport transfers:
The drive from Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen takes approximately 1 hour depending on traffic and road conditions.
A Cancun airport shuttle typically costs around $15-$40 USD per person, depending on the final destination.
The best option for a safe and reliable transfer from Cancun airport to your hotel or resort is to book a private airport transfer in advance.
Not only will you be able to avoid the scams and overcharges that you may encounter with other types of transportation, but you’ll also have peace of mind knowing that your driver will be waiting for you when you step off the plane and will have a safe and comfortable ride to your destination.
The cheapest airport transfer from Cancun to Playa del Carmen is to take the ADO Airport bus, which costs around $11 USD each way.
The best way to get from the Cancun Airport to your hotel is to book a private airport transfer in advance. This will allow you to avoid the scams and overcharges that you may encounter with other forms of transportation at the airport.
Unfortunately, Uber is not currently available in Cancun or anywhere else in the Riviera Maya region of Mexico.
However, you can easily book a private airport transfer in advance to ensure that you have a safe and reliable ride from Cancun Airport to your hotel or resort.
For transportation in Cancun, you’ll need to rely on taxis or private transport to get around.
Final Thoughts: Best Airport Transfer Cancun Guide
I hope this guide to the best airport transfers in Cancun has been helpful and has given you an idea of what to expect when you arrive at Cancun International Airport.
It can be a chaotic place and it’s very easy to get scammed or overcharged by the many airport taxi drivers and other forms of transport.
That’s why it’s best to book a private airport transfer in advance, so you can rest assured that you’ll be in the best hands from the moment you step off your flight to when you reach your hotel or resort.
I personally use and recommend Cancun Airport Transportation, a reputable company that offers safe and reliable airport transfers and a stress-free experience.
Remember you’ll get 10% off by booking a round-trip service!
If you’re headed to Cancun soon, make sure to cross this essential item off your to-do list and book your airport transfer now! ⤵️
Traveling to Mexico soon?
These are the Mexico travel resources I use and recommend:
✈️ Flights: I recommend using Skyscanner for the best Mexico flight deals. Be sure to sign up for their price alerts for your preferred travel dates.
🚗 Rental Cars: I like to use Discover Cars because you can compare multiple car rental companies and see detailed ratings for overall value, ease of pick-up, efficiency of agents, car condition, and overall time spent.
🚙 Cancun Airport Transportation: I recommend booking a private transfer with Cancun Airport Transportation for the quickest and most hassle-free option!
🤿 Tours & Activities: I always use Viator or GetYourGuide for booking tours and activities in Mexico. You can cancel up to 24 hours before the tour for a full refund, plus they have excellent customer service if you were to have any issues.
🚨 Travel Insurance: After my Dad broke his hand in a taxi accident in Playa del Carmen, I always recommend buying travel insurance before your trip for added peace of mind! I recommend Travel Insurance Master for short trips or Safety Wing for digital nomads.
☀️ Biodegradable Sunscreen: Don’t forget to add biodegradable sunscreen to your Mexico packing list! Regular sunscreen is prohibited when swimming in the ocean and cenotes in Mexico, so you’ll need to pack some biodegradable sunscreen for sun protection. I recommend Sun Bum Sunscreen, which is reef-friendly, vegan, and cruelty-free.