Playa del Carmen Weather in December: Is it a good month to visit?
Are you thinking of booking a trip to Playa del Carmen in December and wondering what the weather will be like? Look no further!
December is one of the most popular times of year to visit Playa del Carmen, thanks to its pleasant temperatures and abundant sunshine.
How do I know? I’m a travel blogger that lives in Playa del Carmen so I’ve been able to experience the weather here every month of the year!
In this article, I’m sharing everything you need to know about the weather in Playa del Carmen in December including the average temperatures, rainfall, and humidity along with some helpful tips for what to pack and the best things to do during this time of year.
Read on to learn more about Playa del Carmen’s weather in December, and start planning your trip today!
Is December a good time to visit Playa del Carmen?
December is a fabulous time to visit Playa del Carmen! The weather is warm and sunny, with an average temperature of around 82°F and lower chances of rain.
This makes it a great place for a winter escape, as the tropical weather here is much warmer than most areas of the United States, Canada, and Europe.
In addition, December is during the dry season in Playa del Carmen so you’ll experience the least amount of humidity. This makes it much more comfortable to be out in the sun without feeling like you’re melting.
But because the weather is much more pleasant in Playa del Carmen in December, this also makes it one of the most popular times of year to travel here.
In fact, December marks the start of high season in Playa del Carmen so there will be more crowds and higher prices than other times of year.
So if you’re planning a visit, be sure to book your accommodations and activities well in advance!
👉 Search for December hotel deals in Playa del Carmen by clicking here!
Playa del Carmen Weather in December
Here’s what you can expect from the Playa del Carmen December weather:
Average Temperatures in Playa del Carmen in December
In December, Playa del Carmen has an average high temperature of 82°F (27°C) and an average low temperature of 70°F (21°C).
While December is one of the coldest months of the year in Playa del Carmen, don’t worry it will still be very hot! In fact, the heat index (“feels like” temperature) in Playa del Carmen is around 86°F (30°C) in December.
During the day, the temperatures are typically quite warm so you’ll be able to swim in the ocean or pool and enjoy all the best beach and water activities.
You’ll likely still be breaking a sweat during the sunny days — just with much less humidity!
At night, the temperatures in Playa del Carmen in December can get cooler, so be sure to pack a light jacket or sweater for any nighttime activities you have planned.
The night temperature never really drops below 68°F (20°C), so it won’t be freezing but you’ll be more comfortable with a light sweater or wrap, especially if there is a breeze.
❄️ Related Reading: Does it Snow in Mexico?
Is it rainy in Playa del Carmen in December?
Playa del Carmen typically experiences 53 mm (2.09″) of rain with an average of 17.9 days of rain in December.
This is considered a low level of rainfall for Playa del Carmen — for comparison, the month of June (during the rainy season) has an average of 169 mm (6.65″) of rain. Playa del Carmen’s rainy season typically runs from June to October.
While Playa del Carmen does experience some rainfall in the month of December, it is still one of the drier months of the year so it’s unlikely that you’ll encounter monsoon-like tropical storms.
Plus, it’s common for rainstorms in Playa del Carmen to pass very quickly and then the sun comes back out again. So don’t worry about being stuck indoors or having your whole day disrupted by a little rain!
And if you do happen to experience heavy rainfall during your trip, Playa del Carmen still has lots of indoor or rainy-day activities so you can make the most of your time here even when it’s raining.
☔️ Some of my favorite activities for rainy days in Playa del Carmen are visiting Rio Secreto underground river, checking out a cavern cenote like Cenote Tak Be Ha, or booking a massage treatment at a luxury spa.
Average Humidity in Playa del Carmen in December
The average relative humidity in Playa del Carmen in December is 77%. Due to its tropical climate, you can never really escape the humidity, but it definitely feels lower than other months of the year.
Plus, it usually means that you’ll be able to spend more time outside without feeling super sticky or uncomfortably hot.
But if you do find the humidity in Playa del Carmen uncomfortable or draining, keep in mind that most hotels and shops have air conditioning so you’ll be able to find a comfortable temperature indoors.
Are there hurricanes in Playa del Carmen in December?
No, there are typically not hurricanes in Playa del Carmen in December. The hurricane season in Playa del Carmen runs from June to November.
While the chances of hurricanes are low, it’s still important to keep an eye on weather forecasts during your trip in case of any storms or rain.
This way you’ll be able to plan for any activities or travel disruptions that could be caused by bad weather.
How warm is the water in Playa del Carmen in December?
The average sea water temperature in Playa del Carmen in December is 80.6°F (27°C), which is still very comfortable for swimming and taking part in other water activities like snorkeling or scuba diving.
Plus, the average surface water temperature is typically even higher. So you can enjoy Playa del Carmen’s beaches or lounge by the swimming pool in December without worrying about the water being too cold.
You may get a little chilly after you get out of the water if there is a breeze, so pack a cover-up like a sarong or lightweight travel towel to wear as you’re heading back to your hotel.
Now if you plan to visit a freshwater cenote during your trip, beware the water can be very cold during this time of year! It’s best to wear a rash guard to stay warm and be more comfortable in the water.
Best Things to Do in Playa del Carmen in December
With good weather and low humidity, December is a great time to enjoy all of the fun things to do in Riviera Maya.
Whether you’re beach-lounging, exploring beautiful caves and cenotes, or shopping on Playa del Carmen’s famous 5th Avenue, there’s something for everyone to enjoy during a December vacation to Playa del Carmen.
Here are some of the best things to do in Playa del Carmen in December:
- Visit ancient Mayan ruins: Playa del Carmen is located near many ancient Mayan ruins in the state of Quintana Roo, such as the Tulum Ruins, Chichen Itza, and Cobá. A visit to the nearby Mayan ruins makes for a fun day trip, and these are the best places to visit in December since it won’t be quite as hot!
- Snorkel with sea turtles in Akumal: Playa del Carmen is home to some amazing snorkeling spots, including Akumal Bay. This area is known for the abundance of sea turtles that swim in the crystal clear waters, making it a great place for snorkeling and spotting these beautiful creatures.
- Shop on Playa del Carmen’s Fifth Avenue: Playa del Carmen’s Fifth Avenue (“La Quinta Avenida”) is a bustling shopping district where you’ll find everything from high-end boutiques to local markets and souvenir shops. Whether you’re looking for unique Mexican handicrafts, the latest beachwear trends, or just some delicious street food, Playa del Carmen’s 5th Avenue shopping has something for everyone! Plus, the street will be lit up with holiday lights and Christmas decor.
- Visit an Xcaret adventure park: Playa del Carmen is also home to several popular Xcaret adventure parks. These fun and family-friendly theme parks are the perfect places to spend a day enjoying water slides, zip lining, snorkeling in underground rivers, and more. With so many different activities on offer, Xcaret is sure to be a hit with everyone in your group.
- Go on a catamaran sail: If you’re looking for something a little more relaxing, Playa del Carmen is also home to many catamaran sailing tours. These boat rides will take you out into the Caribbean Sea for a day of sunbathing, swimming in warm waters, and even some snorkeling.
- Go snorkeling at El Cielo in Cozumel: Playa del Carmen is also located near the island of Cozumel, which is an amazing spot for snorkeling and diving. If you’re a snorkeler, be sure to check out El Cielo on Cozumel as it’s known for its bright turquoise water and abundance of starfish.
Holiday Events in Playa del Carmen in December
Playa del Carmen is a tourist destination and to be honest, the town doesn’t have a ton of traditional holiday events like you might find in more historic cities in Mexico like Mexico City.
Plus, the warm weather in Playa del Carmen Mexico in December makes it a little hard to get into the Christmas spirit!
But if you’re visiting Playa del Carmen during Christmas and looking for something fun to do, there are still some special holiday events that you can check out:
- See the Posadas at Xcaret Park: Every December, Xcaret puts on a special Posadas attraction as an added activity at Xcaret Park. These festivities celebrate the Christmas holiday with traditional songs and colorful piñatas. ►BOOK TICKETS HERE
- See the Christmas Decor at Playa del Carmen Shopping Centers: Around the holidays, the Quinta Alegria and Calle Corazón shopping centers on 5th Avenue always put on a special holiday display, complete with lights and Christmas decorations. These are great places to shop or walk around at night to see the lights lit up.
- Attend a Christmas Mass: There is a cute Catholic church in Playa del Carmen on 12th Street and 15th Avenue called “Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen“, which puts on special Christmas masses every year. Even if you’re not religious, it’s a nice way to experience Mexican culture and see how locals celebrate the holidays!
- Christmas Dinners at Playa del Carmen Restaurants: Many of the restaurants in Playa del Carmen will also offer special Christmas dinner menus this time of year. Whether you’re looking for a romantic dinner on the beach or a holiday celebration with your friends, Playa del Carmen has plenty of options available for holiday dining.
What to Pack for Playa del Carmen in December
When visiting Playa del Carmen in December, you’ll want to add a few extra items to your Mexico packing list:
🧳 Check out my full Mexico packing list guide for all the other essentials to pack for a beach vacation to Mexico.
- Jacket or Light Sweater: The temperatures at night in Playa del Carmen can get a bit chilly, so be sure to pack a light jacket or sweater that you can easily throw on if needed.
- Pants: Normally you don’t need to pack pants for Playa del Carmen, but December is one month I would recommend packing a pair of pants or jeans. Temperatures can be cool at night and you might be more comfortable wearing pants. Linen pants like these are also a great option that can double as a swimsuit coverup during the day and can be dressed up at night.
- Rash guard: You may also want to consider packing a rash guard or swim shirt if you plan on spending lots of time in and out of the water or visiting cenotes. Cenotes can be very cold during this time of year! A rash guard will help protect your skin from getting sunburned, as well as keep you warm if you get chilly.
- Compact Umbrella: While the chance of rain is lower in December than other months, it’s still a good idea to pack an umbrella so you’re prepared if bad weather strikes. These compact umbrellas are lightweight and great for travel.
🚨 Do you need travel insurance for Mexico? Yes! Most insurance plans in your home country will not cover incidents abroad. I recommend using Travel Insurance Master, which is a handy travel insurance marketplace where you can compare policies. Get a FREE quote by clicking here!
Visiting Playa del Carmen in December: FAQs
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about visiting Playa del Carmen Mexico in December:
Yes, Playa del Carmen is typically quite sunny in December, with an average of 8.4 hours of sunshine per day.
Yes, the sea water temperature in Playa del Carmen in December is on average 80.6°F (27°C) in December. This is a comfortable water temperature to be able to swim in the ocean or pool and enjoy all the best beach and water activities.
Yes, Playa del Carmen is quite warm in December, with an average high temperature of 82°F (27°C). Plus, with the heat index, the temperature feels like 86°F (30°C) on average.
June is typically the rainiest month in Playa del Carmen, with an average of 169 mm (6.65″) of rainfall on 21.3 days throughout the month.
Hurricane season in Playa del Carmen runs from June to November, with the highest risk of hurricanes typically occurring between August and October.
Conclusion: Playa del Carmen in December Guide
I hope this Playa del Carmen in December weather guide has helped you to get an idea of what the weather is like during this time of year.
Overall, December is an amazing time to visit Playa del Carmen with perfect weather, low humidity, and little average rainfall. And it will still be warm enough to swim in the ocean!
Whether you’re looking for winter sun or fun holiday celebrations, Playa del Carmen is the perfect place to escape the cold and spend some time relaxing in the sun.
Just remember that December is also the start of high season in Playa del Carmen, so be sure to book your accommodations and activities well in advance if you plan on visiting this time of year.
Have a wonderful trip to Playa del Carmen in December – and don’t forget to bring a sweater for colder temperatures in the evenings!
- Playa del Carmen Weather in January – Is it a good month to visit?
- Does it Snow in Mexico? 20 FAQs That May Surprise You
Traveling to Mexico soon?
These are the Mexico travel resources I use and recommend:
🏨 Hotels: I always find the best deals for Mexico hotels and resorts on Expedia or Booking.com. If you prefer a vacation rental, check VRBO as they are often cheaper than AirBnB’s added fees!
✈️ Flights: I recommend using Skyscanner for the best Mexico flight deals. Be sure to sign up for their price alerts for your preferred travel dates.
🚗 Rental Cars: I like to use Discover Cars because you can compare multiple car rental companies and see detailed ratings for overall value, ease of pick-up, efficiency of agents, car condition, and overall time spent.
🚙 Cancun Airport Transportation: I recommend booking a private transfer with Cancun Airport Transportation for the quickest and most hassle-free option!
🤿 Tours & Activities: I always use Viator or GetYourGuide for booking tours and activities in Mexico. You can cancel up to 24 hours before the tour for a full refund, plus they have excellent customer service if you were to have any issues.
🚨 Travel Insurance: After my Dad broke his hand in a taxi accident in Playa del Carmen, I always recommend buying travel insurance before your trip for added peace of mind! I recommend Travel Insurance Master for short trips or Safety Wing for digital nomads.
☀️ Biodegradable Sunscreen: Don’t forget to add biodegradable sunscreen to your Mexico packing list! Regular sunscreen is prohibited when swimming in the ocean and cenotes in Mexico, so you’ll need to pack some biodegradable sunscreen for sun protection. I recommend Sun Bum Sunscreen, which is reef-friendly, vegan, and cruelty-free.